The operating system that runs on every computer comes with basic support for managing fonts. The functions that are available are sufficient for users who don’t have an extensive library of fonts and don’t need to add or remove fonts on a regular basis. For all other users, there are font managers (sometimes referred to as font utilities or font tools, even though they are management tools). These are separate applications that provide more features than the operating system itself, including:
- the ability to organize large libraries of fonts
- activate or deactivate fonts or groups of typefaces, either manually or automatically
- print font samples in a wide variety of ways
- warn about corrupted or damaged font files
Which font managers are available for Mac OS?
Next to font management tools, there are dozens of interesting font utilities, such as Font Pilot.
Which font managers are available for Windows?
- ApoliSoft Font Fitting Room
- Black Sun Software X-Fonter
- Extensis Suitcase for Window & FontReserve
- FontExplorer X Pro
- OT1 Font Manager by J M Berthier
- High-logic MainType
- Lose Your Mind Software Printer’s Apprentice
- Insider software FontAgent Pro
- Neuber Software Typograf
- Proxima Software FontExpert
Comparing different font managers
There are some excellent reviews on the web that compare various font management programs.
- Top 8 Best Font Managers For Windows In 2020
- If you’re running an older system: Best Font Manager Software Comparisons and Reviews (2011)