Adobe launches a new version of their PDF solution, called Acrobat DC. DC stands for Document Cloud, as the subscription versions of the application include a cloud-based storage and sharing solution that can make PDF files accessible to desktop systems and mobile devices. The preflight engine, which Adobe licenses from callas, now allows the use of variables in the preflight profiles, which allows for dynamic preflight checks.
QuarkXpress announces the 2015 edition of its layout application. It supports 64-bit and the PDF/X-4 file format.
Fujifilm acquires Elara software to strengthen its presence in the newspaper market. Elara is a scalable and modular workflow tool for newspaper production.
Now that the Adobe Creative Cloud has proven that software rental models work, others try it as well. The preflight tool PitStop Pro 13 is the first product of Enfocus that the company also offers with a subscription model.
Cimpress, the corporate parent of Vistaprint, keeps expanding by buying a majority stake in France’s Exaprint, and then taking over Austria’s Druck und Handelsgesellschaft as well as Tradeprint in the UK.
British MIS vendor Shuttleworth is acquired by EFI. Earlier in the year EFI had already acquired Reggiani Macchine, the Italian manufacturer of digital textile printing equipment.
The New Zealand 5 Dollar bill is the banknote of the year.
These are some important or remarkable events from 2015:
- Terrorists attack the offices of French magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people including the editor and celebrated cartoonists.
- Greece faces a major government-debt crisis.
- The NASA ‘New Horizons’ spacecraft performs a close flyby of Pluto.
- Car manufacturer Volkswagen is caught rigging diesel emissions tests. Eleven million cars from VW and its other brands including Audi may be affected.
- Fourteen officials and executives of FIFA, the world soccer’s governing body, are accused of corruption.
- Cuba and the United States restore diplomatic relations.
- The Syrian civil war causes more than 220,000 deaths while millions are displaced from their homes.
- Turkish fighter jets shoot down a Russian Sukhoi SU-24 plane that according to Turkey entered its airspace.